With its mild winters, Wakayama is a great place to visit at this time of year. Warm up in the hot spring baths of Shirahama Onsen or Katsuura Onsen, have fun picking fresh strawberries at one of Wakayama's many farms, or admire the daffodils at Kashinozaki Lighthouse in early January.
Winter is also peak season for maguro (tuna), spiny lobster, and other seafood. Don't leave without also trying Wakayama ramen, which has a reputation for being some of the best in Japan.
Any photos of Wakayama are acceptable entries to the #VisitWakayama Winter Photo Contest, even photos you took at other times of year, so don't hold back!
The #VisitWakayama Winter Photo Contest is now closed to entries.
Thank you to all who shared your wonderful photos!
Theme Prize: Kumano no Kaori aroma oil and floral water (5 winners) — Theme prizes will go to the best entries showing off Wakayama's beauty in winter.
This set of 100% natural aroma oil and floral water captures the soothing fragrance of the forests of Kumano, a highly spiritual place whose temples are visited by countless pilgrims every year. Hand-made by skilled local artisans, the aroma oil and fragrance use extract of the Shibahara variety of Japanese cedar, local to Kumano, and Hinoki cypress.
First Prize: Japanese Bento box made from Wakayama Hinoki Cypress wood (5 winners) — First prizes will go to the entries that best show off Wakayama regardless of season.
Made from high-quality Hinoki cypress wood from Wakayama, this Bento box has a beautiful grain and antibacterial properties. Not only is it a gorgeous way to pack your lunch or bring food for a picnic, its nanocoat finish makes it dishwasher proof as well, so there’s no reason not to enjoy the beauty of Wakayama Hinoki Cypress wood on a daily basis. Comes with a Japanese furoshiki wrapping cloth. Made in Japan. Comes in natural wood or dark-brown colors.
The color and design of each prize received by winners will be selected by the Contest Operator.
Please note that prizes may not match the photos, and the contest operator reserves the right to change the prizes awarded.
Managed by the Wakayama Prefecture of Japan, the Official Wakayama Travel Guide is an invaluable source for all visitors to this beautiful prefecture south of Osaka!
Get help planning all aspects of your trip, from sightseeing destinations to hotels and onsen. Download free maps and guides, and get answers to your questions before your visit.
Get free wi-fi access at thousands of spots throughout the Kansai region with this free app for Android and iOS!
Coverage of the following areas is made available to tourists with the help of local municipalities and the business community: Wakayama Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Kyoto Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture, Nara Prefecture, Tottori Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture, Kyoto City, Osaka City, Sakai City and Kobe City.
#VisitWakayama Winter Photo Contest Winners
Theme Prize (5 winner)
First Prize (5 winner)
HOW TO ENTER
Download the Instagram app and make an account if you don't already have one!
Share one or more photos showing the beauty or attractiveness of Wakayama Prefecture with the hashtag #visitwakayama.
That's it! Now tell your friends about the contest!
Use the hashtag#visitwakayama
Follow Wakayama Prefecture's official account@visitwakayama
■ ENTRY PERIOD
The photo contest begins at 10:00am January 18, 2019 and ends at 11:59pm March 10, 2019 (Japan Standard Time).
■ ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNING ENTRIES
March 27, 2019
Theme Prize: Kumano no Kaori aroma oil and floral water (5 winners)
First Prize: Japanese Bento box made from Wakayama Hinoki Cypress wood (5 winners)
- - Contestants must be following the official @visitwakayama Instagram account
- - Contestants must be the creator/owner of the image(s) used for entry
- - Contestants must be using a public Instagram account for entry
- - Accounts that are made private during the contest entry period are not eligible to win
■ SELECTION PROCESS
Winning entries will be chosen based on their impact on social media, the number of votes received by selection committee members, and their consistency with the photo contest theme.
Winners will be notified by direct message to their Instagram accounts on March 22, 2019 or later.
- - Winners must be following the official @visitwakayama account.
- - Winners must reply within 48 hours; otherwise they forfeit their right to claim their prize.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please read these Terms and Conditions before submitting entries to this campaign. All contestants, by submitting entries, are considered to have agreed to these Terms and Conditions.
This campaign is being run by Nihon Unisys, Inc. (“Contest Operator”), with the permission of Wakayama Prefecture.
Winning images posted with the hashtag #visitwakayama may be published on the Wakayama Prefecture and Visit Wakayama Instagram Photo Contest official social media sites and web pages, or on posters and in-store displays. Please note that you will not be contacted individually if your posted images are used in this manner.
If posting a photo with a person in it, please ensure that you have the person's consent to do so. Wakayama Prefecture and Nihon Unisys, Inc. assume no responsibility whatsoever for any issues related to portrait rights or rights of likeness.
Do not post any of the following types of content. If the Contest Operator determines that your post falls into any of these categories, it may be excluded from consideration.
- - Content that could be considered offensive, including but not limited to sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable content
- - Commercial content, such as content that includes advertising or solicitations to access a particular website or address
- - Content unrelated to Wakayama Prefecture, or content that is determined not to show Wakayama Prefecture's beauty or attractiveness
- - Content that might cause a conflict of rights with a particular character or celebrity
- - Content that slanders a person, company, or organization or infringes on privacy
- - Content that infringes on the copyright or portrait rights/rights of likeness of any third parties
- - Content posted using an account that impersonates another person or company/organization using their name, etc.
- - Any other content that we consider to be inappropriate
- - When using Instagram, please abide by the Instagram Terms and Conditions in addition to these Terms and Conditions. Wakayama Prefecture and Nihon Unisys, Inc. are not responsible for any issues related to entrants' use of Instagram or other social media.
- - This campaign uses Instagram. Wakayama Prefecture and Nihon Unisys, Inc. are not responsible for any damages caused by the suspension or cancellation of this campaign due to the Instagram or related apps.
- - Entrants are responsible for any applicable data transfer or internet connection fees.
- - Depending on your device model, usage, and connection environment, in some cases it may not be possible to submit an entry.
- - In principle, the campaign Operator cannot answer any questions about the use of Instagram or device settings.
- - If your prize is damaged when you receive it, within 3 business days please send a photo of the damage along with a description to the email address of the Operator, listed below.
- - This campaign may be modified or cancelled without prior notice. Thank you for your understanding.
Any personal information you provide to us will only be used for sending your prize.
Please view this website on one of the following browsers:
On Windows: Internet Explorer 10 and above, latest version of Google Chrome or Firefox
On macOS: latest version of Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox
On iPhone/iPad: iOS 9.0 or above
On Android: Android 4.3 or above
Operator email address: email@example.com
Responses to inquiries we receive will be made first-come, first-serve, on weekdays 10am to 5pm between January 18, 2019 and March 27, 2019. Please understand that certain inquiries may take longer to respond to than others.